Hughes Associates A&E was selected to design extensive renovations to the Wilson Center, adding modern amenities while maintaining its Federal architectural style. Built in 1928 and covered in original wood siding, the former residence of General Wilson was being used for offices even though very few changes had been made to its residential interior.
The program included replacing the wood siding with a new brick veneer and trim details to blend with other Hampden-Sydney buildings. The windows were replaced with insulated units that match the original window profiles. New copper gutters and downspouts were also included in the work. The existing front entrance was removed and replaced with a new accessible porch. The interior modifications improved the circulation and created modern conference and office spaces.